Archive

Hey there, so glad you popped by! I've moved to a new address, however, and you can find my new blog at: The Weaver's Apprentice as of Monday, January 26, 2015. I hope you'll come visit me there! See you soon! XOXO

Sunday, October 26, 2014

It's time for the 7th annual Halloween Party!!!

Ah, my spooky darlings... It's that time of year where I once again run late to the party...

...Oh, wait... that's just about any time of year actually... I'm working on it.

Ahem.

At any rate, welcome to the seventh year of fabulous Halloween parties, hostessed by the even more fabulous Vanessa Valencia!!! =D

If you haven't visited her blog, A Fanciful Twist, you're in for a super treat... so get yourself over there and say hi!

For this year's Halloween party, I crafted a spell that's been needing crafting...

And this witch would love your help with something tonight (whether you consider yourself witchy or not), so without further ado...



Let's gather the supplies...


Then light the candles...


And lay out what we'll need tonight to make some extra special magic (for my godson, Sebastian.)


Some wee smudge sticks, made from dried herbs from my garden...

A feather found in the forest.


And a saint medal with St. Peregrine on one side and the Blessed Mother on the other side.


St. Peregrine is the patron saint of those fighting cancer. Sebastian (who turned 1 back in July), has just been diagnosed with leukemia... but that story is another post that I'll finish in the next few days.


Some witches have a ritual knife that they use... I have some nice, sharp embroidery scissors, re-purposed for kitchen use (and magic making). For me, they're more practical... and I'm less likely to accidentally cut off a finger. ^__~


Some melted wax from my kitchen candles hold tonight's spell candle steady. Toppling candles make a waxy mess (not to mention the fire hazard...)


Then into the mortar go the herbs, each chosen for their magical properties... 

Star Anise, Chamomile, Peppermint, Spearmint, Mullein, Red Clover, St. John's Wort and Valerian for protection...

Basil for strength...

Cinnamon for peaceful energy...

Cumin for good luck...

Dried Elderberries for blessings...

Ginger for good health...

Lavender and Tarragon for calmness and peace of mind...

Sage to banish negativity...

And Thyme for courage.


With the pestle, I grind everything up into as fine a mixture as I can get it. 


Not strictly necessary, but I've found that things mix better this way. ^_^


Lighting a smudge stick...


And letting the smoke waft around my work area.


I use my feather to fan the smoke from my smudge sticks in the directions I want it to go. I also use it to direct the smoke in my direction, to smudge myself. 


St. Peregrine sat in the herb mixture for a bit, soaking up the good vibes and magical properties of the herbs.


Then I poured the dry mix into a small jar and tied the medal around the neck.


The next ingredient is olive oil, to make this into candle anointing oil... since I do a lot of candle magic. ^_^


Once the oil has been added, it kind of just sits on top of the dried herbs...


So give it a good shake to mix all the goodness inside together.


Pouring the mixture onto his candle...


And then adding a little more...


There! Almost ready...


My last not-so-secret ingredient is glitter. Yup, glitter. A few shakes is all you need. 

As a side note, if you add the glitter after you light the candle, it sparks quite impressively... but this might upset your significant other, causing them to yell a bit... So don't do this while they're in the same room with you... ^_~


And now it's ready! 

Sometimes when doing candle spells, I'll use a thumbtack to inscribe words or phrases into the candle itself, sometimes I'll inscribe words or pictures and then add the oil/herb mixture or sometimes just the oil/herb mixture, which is what I did this time.


Sending my love, my thoughts, my hopes and wishes for Sebastian into the candle...


And now it's time to light it up!


I love candle light... it's always so cheery, even on the dreariest of days and nights...


The St. Peregrine medal will stay around the bottle of oil until the next time I go to Seattle to visit Sebastian. 


But for now, it's capped and sitting on the shelf that serves as part of my altar...


...Until I need to bring it down for another candle spell for him. ^_^


So, my lovelies, I mentioned that I'd love to have your help tonight... 

So if you would, for a minute, send a good thought my godson's way, I would be incredibly grateful. ^_^

Thank you all for stopping by for a spell

(I apologize, that was an awful pun... I just couldn't help myself though...)

I hope you enjoyed this little peek into some of my magic making... 

And I can't wait to see what everyone else has been up to! 

Remember to stop by Vanessa's blog!!!

See you all soooooon...

XOXO


50 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing and you definitely have my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A magical potion! I am late to the party and hoping to have it up tonight! So delighted to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always late too, Jeanie, so no worries! I'll probably spend the next few days blog-hopping to catch up. ^_^

      Delete
  3. Beautiful spell...Sending lots of good thoughts and healing blessings towards Sebastian...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elie! It means a lot to me! <3

      Delete
  4. Sending sooo many good thoughts. A silent moment for the little one. <3

    Thank you also for tutorial, because I love it and will do it myself also..

    BIG HUG!! <3


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vanessa! It means the world to me. ^_^

      And thank you for sending your good thoughts his way too. *hugs* <3

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing a little of your spell work. I do so enjoy your posts! My heart-felt love and good thoughts to your god son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! I'm so glad that you enjoy my posts. I do really love writing (so I'm not sure why I don't do more of it... lol)

      And thank you so much for sending your good thoughts his way. It means a lot to me and his parents! <3

      Delete
  6. Sending good thoughts. This is a wonderful idea. I try to send out good thoughts to my friends who are ill.

    Funnily enough, when I was a kid, I nearly cut off my thumb with a pair of scissors. Luckily the feeling is totally back but I think I cut it pretty badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. ^_^

      I'm glad you didn't cut off your thumb! I had a nasty run-in with a meat slicer at a former job... stitches in my right pointer finger... eeks. @_@

      Delete
  7. Healing thoughts and strength to the little one and all who love him.Thank you for showing us your spell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you and Sebastian, my Dear! This was fascinating...my daughter's sweet Kitty Bunch was recently diagnosed with cancer...inoperable...please send some good thoughts her way! Thank you so much for a peek into your Magick!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. Your daughter's kitty will be getting good thoughts as well. Such a hard thing, cancer in pets. =(
      Send her my love & hugs, and love & hugs to you too!

      <3

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful spell, my lovely. Sebastian has my thoughts and prayers and in the next few days, will have a candle burning here as well. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my sweet. It means so much to me for you to do this. <3

      Delete
  10. I love this spell work...thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting my blog!!!
    Happy Halloween
    Kerstin from germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kerstin! Happy Halloween to you too! <3 ^__^

      Delete
  11. You are a wonder godmother, I'll be keeping a full remission for little Sebastian in my thoughts. Your candle spell looks like a lot of fun and it must smell wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. <3
      The herb mixture smells pretty good, but in all honesty, the cumin makes it smell a wee bit like tacos... but not too much, since I only added a wee bit of cumin in order to avoid a taco-scented candle. ^__^

      <3

      Delete
  12. Sending vibes of health and healing to your Sebastian. Thanks for sharing your spell and magik.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, thanks for stopping by my way and for all your kind words. You have my thoughts and prayers for your dear Sebastian. I LOVE how a touch of glitter can bring on a bit of happiness and magic! Keep Strong & Hopeful! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly! We're all staying strong and hopeful here. ^_^
      Everyone's love and good thoughts are helping with that so much.
      And yes, glitter is the cure for many ills. ^__~

      <3

      Delete
  14. Sending many good thoughts and healing wishes to Sebastian. That was a beautiful spell you worked for him.

    Blessings to you and those you love,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria. Blessings to you as well. <3

      Delete
  15. Hello there sweet lady… Thank you for a beautiful and heart felt post. I will right now take a moment and send a prayer to your Sebastian. Miracles happen, quite often so believe!
    Thank you for visiting my party and blessed Halloween loveliness to you!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tricia. I do indeed believe, we're a hopeful bunch over here. ^_^

      <3

      Delete
  16. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of such a very important spell. Sending blessings and light to Sebastian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, my dear, for joining your blessings and light with everyone's. It means so much! <3

      Delete
  17. What a lovely potion- I didn't know St Peregrine was patron saint of those fighting cancer. Thanks for sharing. Sending positive thoughts and love to little Sebastian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina. ^_^
      St. Peregrine's story is a lovely one. I very much enjoyed reading about him. <3

      Delete
  18. Thanks for much for stopping by my party!! Thank you so much for sharing tutorial!! I am sending positive thoughts and keeping your god son in my thoughts. Take good care. Peace & Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had a great time at your party. I hope that I'm not too late...got a late start..I love this post so vary imaginative. Please visit me at:
    momentsinaneye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Linda! I'll head over your way soon! ^_^

      Delete
  20. Such a beautifully magical spell! Love whipping up a little magic around Halloween!

    http://broomsticksandlace.blogspot.ca/2014/10/a-fanciful-twist-halloween-party-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! Magic always seems to flow easiest for me in the Autumn, especially the closer we get to Halloween. ^_^

      <3

      Delete
  21. I'm so sorry to hear that your godson being sick - cancer is terrible. It was so hard for me when my mom was going through chemotherapy - I was just ending 8th grade and then starting at a high school where I knew nobody. My mom and I have always been really close, and even with the chemo we didn't think she'd live. Doctors have told her it's a miracle that she's alive, but she still has so many painful health problems.

    Anyways, enough about me - I hope your godson recovers and that his treatment will be a peaceful one without too much discomfort.

    Love,
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Lilly, that must have been so hard for you to go through as a child. I'm so glad that the chemo worked for your mom! I hope that her current health problems and their pain are manageable for her.
      Thank you for your wishes for Sebastian! <3

      Delete
  22. I had to giggle about about putting the glitter on your candle and making your significant other yell!! But I do want to wish the best for your god-son. Thank you so much for your visit to my Halloween Circus at The Tearoom!

    Wishing you a wonderful and spooky Halloween!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could give you a giggle! And really, she only gave a half-hearted holler at me... ^__~
      Thank you for your good wishes! <3

      Delete
  23. So very clever and fun to read about all the ingredients !
    thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peggy! I'm glad you enjoyed my post. ^_^

      Delete
  24. My good thoughts are a bit late, but they are here. Sending lots of love.

    Um... I'm in love with you teapot. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Magaly! It means a lot to me & everyone here. ^__^
      And as someone who is late to everything, I hereby give you all the permission you will ever need to be as late as you need to be... to anything and everything ^___~

      Also, I shall have to guard my beloved teapot from your amorous advances... ;-D

      XOXO <3

      Delete
  25. Enjoyed visiting and seeing your post. Sending all good wishes and prayers for your Sebastian's healing. Sebastian happens to be the name I picked out 22 years ago if I were to have a boy but I had a daughter Cheyenne. Thank you too for visiting me. Take care, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darlene for your wishes and prayers! How funny you'd picked out the same name! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit here. ^_^ <3

      Delete

Out with it!