Archive

Hey there, so glad you popped by! I've moved to a new address, however, and you can find my new blog at: The Weaver's Apprentice as of Monday, January 26, 2015. I hope you'll come visit me there! See you soon! XOXO

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Midnight Wanderings & The Bitter End Coffeehouse

Tonight I am on a solo adventure, in a city I’ve never been able to muck about in by myself before.

Last Wednesday, I flew from Seattle, WA to Minneapolis, MN. My folks picked me up and we drove the two hours to their house in Britt, IA. The next morning, my mom, my sister, my niece and I left Britt before the sun came up and drove the ten hours to Grand Rapids, MI.

Grand Rapids is where my mom, myself and both my siblings were born. She lived here her entire life (until she married my dad) and I lived here on and off until I was about four. I’ve visited a handful of times, but each time I’ve been tied to my family and unable to go off on my own.

We're staying with my mom's sister, her husband and their two kids. Since everyone there is in bed, but I’m so not even close to being tired (my brain is still on Seattle time...), I decided to go to the 24 hour coffee shop I saw yesterday when we were driving home from visiting my grandma.

So here I sit, at The Bitter End Coffeehouse, sipping my coffee and eating my neon pink raspberry scone, blissfully happy at finally having some time to myself.

I’ve had a wonderful time with my aunts, uncles and cousins so far, but I’m in need of some time to myself to recharge my socializing batteries... lolz.

So I grabbed my laptop, my notebook and pen, stuck my debit card in my pocket and drove myself to The Bitter End. I drove around the block a few times, looking for parking and scoping out the place... it was packed... I parked across the street, sat in my car and stared for a few minutes, then grabbed my stuff & went inside. Take that, social anxiety! ^_~

And now I’m sitting at the long table along the wall, next to a college student who's working on her math homework.

I’d only planned to be gone for an hour or so, but I think I could happily stay here and drink coffee and type all night... but I won't, or my mom will worry. ^_^

I love wandering around places I’ve never been before, especially if I have several hours in which to do so. If it wasn't so late at night, I’d wander up and down the block as well, but since I don't know the neighborhood (and I’m by myself), I’ll pass on that this time. Safety first, and all that. ^_^

I really wish Britt had been able to come out with me... she would still be awake with me, and we could have wandered with impunity. But alas, she couldn't get the time off of work and school starts for her on Tuesday... and she can't miss her first day of class. And even though I’m really enjoying my visit with my family, I miss her and my kitties (and my bed) so much. I’ll be home in five days, though, so I’ll get to see them soon. ^_^

I bought Britt a Petosky stone as a souvenir... And since I know she doesn't read my blog, I can tell y'all about it. ^___^ Petosky stones are really neat. They're fossilized coral from the inland sea that used to cover Michigan in prehistoric times. Petosky stones are only found in Michigan, apparently, and are getting more and more rare. Britt has a love for anthropology and archeology that is possibly even greater than mine, and she also loves cool rocks... so I can't wait to get home and give her this stone. ^___^

Well... between my strangely tall chair an the strangely low table against the wall, my legs are falling asleep... so I think I’ll finish my coffee and head back to my aunt & uncle's place, and maybe even try to go to sleep. Or maybe I’ll just move to that empty table over there and do some writing... I think I’ll try that first.

Wherever you are, I hope you're having a lovely weekend! The Autumn Equinox is almost here (YAY!!!) and then October and Halloweeny goodness descends... I simply can't wait.

Until next time...


XOXO

4 comments:

  1. What a great name for a coffee house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was quite amused when we drove by it the first time. XD

      Delete
  2. Pentosky stones sound fascintating!

    The coffeehouse sounds great, just like the kind of place I imagine coffeehouses to be, warm, welcoming in the dark night, and I like the sound of the brightly coloured food! /not too much colouring I hope! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stones are just beautiful! And the coffeehouse was indeed perfect. There was, perhaps, just s smidge too much food coloring in the scone, but oh well. ^_~

      Delete

Out with it!