Archive

Hey there, so glad you popped by! I've moved to a new address, however, and you can find my new blog at: The Weaver's Apprentice as of Monday, January 26, 2015. I hope you'll come visit me there! See you soon! XOXO

Sunday, September 14, 2014

I'm sitting at my desk, in my office at the hospital, sipping coffee and reading blogs. My staffing for 19:00 is finished, and miraculously, we're not short-staffed.

The coffee isn't fabulous, but I dumped a package of hot cocoa mix into it... poor woman's mocha? Why, yes, please, thanks. ^_~

I've been cleaning my house, messing it back up and then cleaning it some more... I've made four batches of jam so far this summer. One and a half of those batches will be going to my mom, because blackberry jam is her favorite. ^_^

I've been going through boxes still, left over from last Fall, after we cleared out our storage unit. We've donated, sold, given away or thrown out so much crap, I don't know how we still have stuff to get rid of. I also don't know how the heck we accumulated so much STUFF?!? Holy wow...

Most of what's left for me to sort through are books and magazines and craft stuff. I've decided to implement a new rule for myself in regards to crafting supplies... If I don't use it within a year of purchasing/finding it, I'm going to give it away or otherwise get rid of it. I've been carting around some of my junk since high school. I graduated in 2003, so, um, yeah. I'm probably not going to use it.

The best thing I found the other day, however, was a sheet of stick-on earrings that I've probably had in my possession since I was 8 or so... that's 21 years. How the hell have I not thrown those out or given them to some other little kid by now??? Good grief. I got a good laugh about them, and put them in the "To Donate" pile. Who knows, I may make some kid's day. ^_^

Even harder than craft stuff for me to get rid of, however, are things like books and magazines. Fortunately I don't read many magazines, but the ones I do read, I tend to keep. I've sorted through about half of the foot-high stack I have, and have recycled most of them.

 Books are the hardest thing for me to part with. I love books with a fierce love I find difficult to put into words. Reading has always been one of my most favorite things to do, and while I love my Kindle app on my iPod (since I can make the font bigger and the colors sepia... yay, no headaches!), it will never replace the pleasure I get from holding a physical book, smelling the paper, feeling the pages between my fingers... I want to cry when I donate my books... because to me it's like parting with old friends. There are quite a few books I'll never get rid of, because they're special as more than just a story, but I also have a bad habit of buying everything that catches my interest, and then keeping the books even if I know I'll never read them again (because I might want to... someday... maybe? And text books... I can't get rid of my chemistry book!!! I might need to look up how to convert something into Moles someday!!! Probably I won't, but you get my drift.) So I've been trying to clear my shelves of those kinds of books... so that I can keep the ones I've read so many times that they're worn at the edges. ^_^

Anyways... this blog post has now spanned almost my entire shift. I now have the staffing done for 23:00, and am off to start working on getting everything ready for tomorrow's day shift.

I'm looking forward to getting off tonight at 01:30, so that I can go home and do some more cleaning and de-cluttering... slowly but surely, I'm getting my apartment back to the way I like it; slightly messy, yet clean and uncluttered.

I hope you've had a wonderful weekend, whatever you've been up to!

XOXO

6 comments:

  1. We are moving soon too and it is amazing how much you accumulate! I have already got rid of most of the craft stuff. I luckily don't have too many books to move since I haven't had enough money to buy a lot so most are library books!

    Wow, that sounds like a late shift! Hope you get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I did eventually get some sleep. ^_^

      Good luck with your move! I hope it's as easy as a move can be and that it doesn't cause you must stress.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Would you believe I have an old trunk full of junk just waiting for me to go through. I know I have stuff from high school and college just waiting for me to throw out. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would indeed believe it. ^_~

      I'll be you find lots of stuff that'll give you a good laugh in that trunk. Or perhaps a good cringe... I find that most of my horribly emo writing from high school/early college makes me cringe... It's just beyond horrible... and so dramatic... XD

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I suffer the same affliction as you with books. And apparently I've shared it with my kids. My local library has a sale every few months and so we always go and find such treasures. My daughter walked out with a large stack as she said "Mom, I'm trying to build my own library too!" She's 12. My son won't get rid of any of his books. It does hurt to see them go but sometimes I think we need to clear some out. You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! Your kids are too fabulous, loving books like that! I wish more kids (and adults...) liked to read. I'm pretty sure this book affliction is indeed hereditary... I was talking with my dad and he was telling me about how many boxes of books he'd donated recently... it was something to the tune of 18 boxes... @_@
      But I suppose there are far worse things for parents to pass on to their kids than a mad love for books! ^_~

      XOXO

      Delete

Out with it!