Archive

Hey there, so glad you popped by! I've moved to a new address, however, and you can find my new blog at: The Weaver's Apprentice as of Monday, January 26, 2015. I hope you'll come visit me there! See you soon! XOXO

Friday, July 18, 2014

Summer in the Garden

It's been a beautiful week or two here in Bellingham... nice and warm and sunny. All my porch plants are growing like mad. The giant sunflower "sprout" we got from Britt's folks has tripled (or more) in size in just the past 10 or so days. ^_^

The edible flowers I'm growing are starting to bloom, so Bachelor's Buttons and Calendula will be making their way into my salads. Yum!

The Bee Balm is attracting more than just bees... Hummingbirds have been zipping by to grab sips... one just flew by actually. She stopped to chirp at me for a bit, zipped around the Bee Balm and then flew back toward the where I think her nest is. My heart is filled to bursting when I get hummingbird visits. =D

Macha has been out on the porch with me everyday to help water the plants... and flop about and eat catnip. She also keeps munching on my spinach and lettuces... which I chase her away from, since I want to eat them.

I have tons of tiny, green tomatoes... in a few days/weeks I'll have all the tomatoes I'll ever want. I simply can't wait. ^______^

I'm also getting ready for jam-making! I think this next stretch of days off I'll make some raspberry jam... or maybe try some raspberry-peach jam. Blackberry jam time is looming on the horizon, but not quite yet. I'd wanted to make strawberry jam this year, but missed the season. And buying fruit from a store to make the jam seems like cheating to me... =P

I planted some pickling cucumbers, as I've been wanting to try my hand at making pickles, and as soon as I'm done here I'm going to go tie up a trellis for them and finish tying up my tomatoes... it's getting gusty this afternoon, and we're supposed to get rain all weekend, so I need to make sure my tall plants are ready. ^_^

Off I go then! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! I'll be at work this weekend (boo...), but at least I get to play in the greenery on my porch each day before I go.

Green & flowery kisses to all of you!!!

XOXO

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, the hummingbirds sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I love them so, so much! =D
      I usually hear them before I see them & then rush to my window to try and get a glimpse. It was a real treat getting to see one so close!

      Delete
  2. An actual hummingbird? I have never seen one in real life!!! How wonderful!!! Have a great weekend and a blessed harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've never gotten to see a hummingbird? @_@
      I suppose that it's never occurred to me before that someone wouldn't have seen a hummingbird in real life... lol. Silly me... ^_~

      I hope you're able to see one and hear one some day. They are such amazing little creatures! They make my heart light and never fail to paint a goofy grin on my face. I hope you're having a great weekend as well! =D

      Delete
  3. There's usually a second batch of strawberries in August (I've had luck out at the u-pick on Wiley's Lake Road)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, your porch garden sounds inviting and then some. If I were any closer, you would have to drive away more than Macha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were any closer, I'd be pleased as punch to have you come hang out in my garden! And I wouldn't even mind if you ate some veggies. ^_~
      XOXO

      Delete

Out with it!