Archive

Hey there, so glad you popped by! I've moved to a new address, however, and you can find my new blog at: The Weaver's Apprentice as of Monday, January 26, 2015. I hope you'll come visit me there! See you soon! XOXO

Friday, March 08, 2013

Give and Receive Fearlessly

Amanda Palmer is one of the most amazing people you may ever be lucky enough to meet. I have never met her in person, shaken her hand, given her a hug... but still I feel connected to her... because she's just her. Go to one of her concerts if you ever get the chance. The connections she forms with the audience are amazing.

She was invited to give a TED talk this year, and since I love the TED talks and love Amanda Palmer, I was incredibly excited. ^____^

Her talk is amazing. If you have 14 minutes, watch/listen to it. If you don't have 14 minutes, find them. You'll be glad you did.

Her talk is about the art of asking... something I suck at. I would rather do anything else, than ask for help... with just about anything. Her whole talk is wonderful and funny, but one phrase stood out & smacked me in the face:

"Give and receive fearlessly," she said.

*SMACK* (right between the eyes...)

Huh... Give and receive fearlessly. I am good at giving. My time, my attention, my help... if you need it, I will gladly give it if I have it in me to give.

But if I need something, I am loathe to ask for help. Even when, perhaps especially when, I am unable to do or be whatever it is I'm needing. I hate feeling like I'm not enough. I hate asking for help, and have suffered unnecessarily many, many times because of my reticence to ask for help when I can't do something on my own.

I think that many of us, especially women, have a difficult time asking for help when we need it. It's like we have this unspoken expectation of ourselves that we're supposed to be able to do everything and then some; cooking, cleaning, errands, child rearing, a job, school, hobbies, whatever, all on our own. If we're for some reason unable to do all these things, and be happy too, we've failed and we're not good enough.

Soooooo... my new goal is to not only keep giving fearlessly, but to also allow myself to receive fearlessly. I want to be able to ask for help when I need it & be able to admit when I feel overwhelmed. I want to be brave enough to admit to myself and those around me when I need a hand, and by doing this, I think that I'll be even better able to give. I have a feeling that once I allow myself to be part of both aspects of the cycle, I'll feel more balanced all around.

Alrighty then!!! Here's AFP... in all her fabulous, starkly honest, glory. ^-^


Enjoy, my lovelies... and give, receive and live life fearlessly.

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. You are enough. You are more than enough.

    ReplyDelete

Out with it!