Archive

Hey there, so glad you popped by! I've moved to a new address, however, and you can find my new blog at: The Weaver's Apprentice as of Monday, January 26, 2015. I hope you'll come visit me there! See you soon! XOXO

Monday, November 05, 2012

Someone grab an Ark...

Soooooo... this morning we got up, made coffee & breakfast & were getting ready to head to Seattle with Britt's folks to hit up the Tutankhamun exhibit at the Pacific Science Center... (more on this later.)

I went to empty the dish water out of the sink.

(yes, I was washing dishes by hand... and enjoying it. I have indeed lost it completely)

But instead of hearing the nice water-going-down-the-pipes sound, all I heard was

SPLASH! SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH!!!

I shoved the drain plug back in & started swearing even more than usual, as from behind the cupboard doors beneath my sink gushed the dish water. Out onto my rug & the kitchen floor and my poor little feet. Ugh. Wet socks... wet rug... wet floor... o_O

I ran & grabbed towels, Britt brought me more & we got the cleaning stuff we keep locked under there out & everything dried off.

I stuck my head under the sink & swore some more as I saw THIS...


Aaaaaaaand a close up...


Aside from nasty gunk hanging out of my pipe, the only problem is that the pipe is no longer connected to the sink drain.

Wait, what? @___@

I am reticent to call our maintenance guy, as we called about our bathroom sink once before (it was leaking), he came & "fixed" it, and now I've got the hot water tap turned off (because it still wouldn't stop running.) And neither does the cold water... it drip, drip, drips...

I've been trying to figure out how to fix that one on my own as well. My dad was going to help when he was here, but we got busy & forgot. Oops.

So tomorrow I'm going to bury myself in the interwebs & see if I can figure out a relatively not too difficult way to fix my damn kitchen sink, so I may wash dishes... and if not, then I'll be calling our property management company.

I suppose that the bonus of living in an apartment without any owner/manager supervision on-sight is great most of the time, except times like this... Actually, our entire 12 apartment complex is falling apart... le sigh...

I'm hoping that I can figure out an easy way to fix this myself (and my bathroom sink too...)

Anyone who knows anything about plumbing, either shoot me an email to

absynthe_and_arsenic@yahoo.com

or leave a comment... ^____^

Any advice is welcome, even if it's along the lines of, "Dude, suck it up & call your maintenance guy."

XOXO

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely call the maintenance guy, they have a responsibility to do the repairs for you, and the cost shouldn't come out of your pocket. Besides that, any damages that result from you NOT alerting the maintenance dept, or caused by you trying to fix it yourself will come out of your deposit. It ain't worth it.

    And if they do the job wrong, call them back, and keep doing so until they do it right. I know it sucks, but any job worth doing is worth doing right, and any competent landlord knows this.

    BUT, if you absolutely must do the work yourself, here is the procedure:

    1) Go to your local home improvement store

    2) Explain to them the nature of your plumbing problem

    3) Have them direct you to their do-it-yourself book section

    4) Buy every book on plumbing that is pertinent to your situation

    5) Contact your city government, and acquire the book of official plumbing code.

    6) Read the books and take notes, compile a master list of the tools, supplies, and step by step procedures that you will need to fix the problem

    7) Buy all the tools, ALL of them, and all the parts that you will need

    8) Follow the procedures that you determined. Do not skip any, or take any shortcuts

    If that all sounds like a-lot to deal with, it is, but as I said before: if you are going to do something, do it right. Plus, once you've done all the work, you'll have earned the knowledge of how to do it the right way, and will have had the experience of doing it, and won't have to rely on handy-men.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely call the maintenance dude! Even if you want to learn how to do it yourself, you shouldn't have to shell out the money for supplies, tools or mistakes you might make.

    In our apartment in NJ, Joe would just fix everything himself rather than call the maintenance guys. Given, it could take them a month to come fix the damn fridge/falling apart window/etc but it still always drove me a little crazy to see our hard earned money going towards fixing someone else's investment property.

    *note: We weren't crazy enough to buy a new fridge. Just defrosted ours every week until we moved out.

    ReplyDelete

Out with it!