Archive

Hey there, so glad you popped by! I've moved to a new address, however, and you can find my new blog at: The Weaver's Apprentice as of Monday, January 26, 2015. I hope you'll come visit me there! See you soon! XOXO

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Simple Womyn's Nightbook

Figured I'd tweak the title to fit when I'm actually posting this. ^_~

For tonight, Tuesday, November 15th, 2011

Outside my window... It's dark & cold. The sky was clear & gorgeous all day, so there's no clouds to hold in any tiny bit of heat. Brrrrr... But the stars seem to shine more brightly, twinkle more wonderfully, the colder it is.

I am thinking... About not a lot at the moment. I'm pretty relaxed. There's a few thoughts about permaculture & house cleaning bouncing around in my head, but nothing really at the forefront of my mind.

I am thankful... Tonight I'm thankful for the people at Jasper Hall, and all they are doing (and have done). People & places like Jasper Hall give me hope. (More on Jasper Hall later)

In the kitchen... The kitchen is quietly waiting for me to come & tidy up. Dishes to be done (as always), counters to be wiped down, but luckily I have a patient kitchen.

I am wearing... Jeans & a t-shirt. And orange & black stripped socks. Contemplating grabbing a sweater, as it's kinda chilly in here...

I am creating... 100 faces. A while ago I got the book Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists. It's super awesome, but I've been ignoring it for a while. So the other day I picked it back up, found a small sketchbook that wasn't being used for anything else & set out to create 100 faces in all kinds of ways. I've done about five so far I think. It's fun & relaxing, especially since there's no pressure to make the faces look realistic. Which is good, as me & realism don't get along so well... ^-^

I am going... nowhere in particular, and am quite satisfied with that.

I am wondering... How many years it will be until Britt & I can get a house of our own. I love our apartment, but I'm craving a space that is ours, that we can do with what we like, and that I can have a nice BIG garden on. Someday... I know that much. Until then, I'll be patient & love my tiny apartment with the big porch. ^-^

I am reading... The Sacred Balance by David Suzuki. Several years ago I took a class called Engery: Uses & Consequences. Along with the Environmental Ethics class I took that same quarter, they are the single most influential courses I've ever taken. My class was encouraged to attend a lecture by David Suzuki, and it was amazing. I bought a book while there & he signed it for me. ^-^

I am hoping... that Britt & I will be successful in our efforts to live more sustainably. Yes, I know this seems to be a theme tonight, but what can I say... this is never far from my mind. I cleaned out our fridge earlier this evening before heading to the store, and I'm appalled at the amount of food I had to throw out. It made me sick to my stomach how much we wasted, mostly because it got tucked in a crisper drawer & forgotten about, or pushed to the back of the fridge & forgotten about. My goal for the rest of the year (and ever after) is to have zero waste due to food going bad because we forgot about it or 'lost' it in the fridge. This is no longer acceptable to me to have happen. Period.

I am looking forward to... Britt's Winter break from school. I miss my sweety! She goes to school 8 hours a day, then has several hours of homework. She's working so hard & doing so well, but we're both sick of not having very much time together. She's terribly excited for her break as well... yesterday she was all giddy at the prospect of being able to sit down & read a book that had absolutely nothing to do with nursing. ^-^

I am hearing... four kitties snoring up a storm. Lazy bums...

Around the house... all is quiet but for my clacking computer keys & soft little kitty snores.

I am pondering... why I tend to plan tons of fun crafts & art projects, but never get around to actually doing them. I'm working on this. An author I like (Chuck Wendig) tweeted a quote earlier this evening that could have been directly to me: "If we expend our energy trying not to fail, not only will we never succeed, but the result is artistic paralysis."

Truer words never spoken. This is why my 100 faces project is so important to me. I frequently get caught up in the way that my art seems to get stuck somewhere between my imagination & my hands, so never turns out quite how I intend it. This drives me bonkers. I'm working really hard on not letting it bother me, and just accepting what I create for what it is. <3

One of my favorite things... is candy cane hot cocoa. Liquid awesome.

A few plans for the rest of the week: I head back to work tomorrow night (well, tomorrow morning to be precise, as I've got a staff meeting at 0730. Ick...) Aside from that, I'm planning on finishing up my book, working on my 100 faces & making sure I cook dinner every night. This is very important to me, as I feel home cooked meals & sit down dinners are essential to familial happiness & well being. ^-^

Here is picture for thought I am sharing... Actually, it's a video. The video's about Jasper Hall. It's a half hour long, but it will be one of the best, most uplifting, hope inspiring half hours of your life. I am inspired & awed. If there's any kind of heaven, this is what mine will be. This is paradise. This is how I want to live, this is my dream, my heart's desire.

Jasper Hall

Jasper Hall, 2010, by Martin Voll 32 min from jasperhall on Vimeo.



I ran across this video on Subsistence Pattern, a wonderful blog. Check it out! They're inspiring as well ^-^

As always, thank you so very much to Peggy for hosting the wonderful Simple Woman's Daybook. Check out the link to see all the other lovely participants! =D

Hoping you all are snug as bugs in rugs as the weather turns icy & we forge on into the darkest part of the year. May you embrace the darkness & not fear it. We are creatures of both darkness and light, to deny any part of ourselves is to deny wholeness, fullness, completeness. Love the darkness & she in turn will show you love.

Love & hugs my darlings.

XOXO

2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed the video, is this not a great example of how people might have been meant to live. The journey to such an fantastic exsistence is not easy but as Henry David Thoreau, whose works I never tire of reading, so eloquently put it - "If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the look into one night of your life. i hope you and Britt will have more time together soon.

    The video so far is wonderful. I watched half and will watch the other half later. It does look like paradise.

    Blessings to you and Britt,
    V.

    ReplyDelete

Out with it!