Archive

Hey there, so glad you popped by! I've moved to a new address, however, and you can find my new blog at: The Weaver's Apprentice as of Monday, January 26, 2015. I hope you'll come visit me there! See you soon! XOXO

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Attack of the Squash People!

Good morning to all you wonderful people out there in the aether! =D

I was not planning on being up this early, but I dropped my lovely womyn off at DVSAS, where she volunteers, with the full intent of going back to bed when I got home... Alas, this did not happen. I was suddenly no longer sleepy. Sigh...

So! I put the kettle on, made myself a nice big pot of tea (yes, I get a whole pot to myself... I am supremely lucky...) and here I sit.

I went out to the porch garden this morning to water the few plants that didn't get rained on, ended up rearranging the pumpkin corner (my one pumpkin plant was growing off the side of my porch & down into my neighbors' porch below... @_@) and found a baby pumpkin!!! I'm so excited I may just explode! It's got lots of blooms, but up until this morning I hadn't seen any fruit (veggies, whatever...)

Our mini pumpkin plant also has two, yes TWO, wee little pumpkins on it's vines.

And my zucchini... Holy moly, it's going to town! =D

If you've never read Attack of the Squash People by Marge Piercy, I'm including it below. It's one of my favorite poems. It can be found in her book of poems, The Moon is Always Female.

Attack of the Squash People


And thus the people every year
in the valley of humid July
did sacrifice themselves
to the long green phallic god
and eat and eat and eat.
They're coming, they're on us,
the long striped gourds, the silky
babies, the hairy adolescents,
the lumpy vast adults
like the trunks of green elephants.
Recite fifty zucchini recipes!

Zucchini tempura; creamed soup;
sauté with olive oil and cumin,
tomatoes, onion; frittata;
casserole of lamb; baked
topped with cheese; marinated;
stuffed; stewed; driven
through the heart like a stake.

Get rid of old friends: they too
have gardens and full trunks.
Look for newcomers: befriend
them in the post office, unload
on them and run. Stop tourists
in the street. Take truckloads
to Boston. Give to your Red Cross.
Beg on the highway: please
take my zucchini, I have a crippled
mother at home with heartburn.

Sneak out before dawn to drop
them in other people's gardens,
in baby buggies at churchdoors.
Shot, smuggling zucchini into
mailboxes, a federal offense.

With a suave reptilian glitter
you bask among your raspy
fronds sudden and huge as
alligators. You give and give
too much, like summer days
limp with heat, thunderstorms
bursting their bags on our heads,
as we salt and freeze and pickle
for the too little to come.

Marge Piercy


It makes me happy... =D

Well then... My cherry tomatoes are doing ok, my other tomato is not & my Purple Cherokee tomato... well, we'll just have to wait & see if she produces anything but blooms. Sad bee shortage...

Wow... it's so quiet. ^-^ Macha is napping by the back door, hoping I'll take her out onto the porch with me so she can maul the catnip... again... o_O Probably not today...
On second thought, there's a squirrel... I'm taking all three of my furry little monsters out with me!!!

Going to finish this cup of tea, go outside & harvest some basil, spearmint & peppermint & then perhaps work on my art journal a bit...

Hope you all have a most lovely & wonderful day! ^-^

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I've made two large batches of zucchini bread over the past week and a half to deal with a few hugely overgrown ones that found their way into my kitchen.

    I'm jealous of your baby pumpkins! We plan to grow a huge row of them next year and I can't wait. My kiddo thinks he'll sell them at the side of the road but I'm going to swipe them all for decorating around the house :)

    ReplyDelete

Out with it!